Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas Jar's

The Sunday after Thanksgiving our Bishop gave each family a book as a Christmas present. The book was called "Christmas Jar's" as a busy mom and student I placed the book on top of the microwave and forgot about it. As Christmas approached I received a voicemail from our church secretary asking me to check my back door step that someone had left our family a surprise. I open the gift with curiosity and was taken back when I saw a LARGE mason jar filled to the brim with change and a one hundred dollar bill folded  neatly facing the outside of the jar. Most people will not be as honest as I am going to be, but here it goes. We needed this money more than that kind person will ever know. We had saved our money so well that every last penny had been budgeted, we did not know that the oil to heat our home would cost use a whopping $1,200 a month on top of an electric bill of $300 a month. This $200 would help carry us until January, John and I felt blessed and not forgotten by members in our ward. A week later John was taking Kaitlen to school when he found a second Christmas Jar sitting on our door with another hundred dollar bill, tears of gratitude filled my eyes and I knew that John and I could make it one more month. After receiving 2 Christmas Jar’s I decided to read the book that bishop had given to us. The reason why I’m sharing this very personal experience with you is because we can all fill a Christmas Jar and help a family in need without it being a hardship on our family. Bishop’s gift was a story about a woman who started giving out Christmas Jar’s to needy people, she then made it a public thing and pretty soon it had spread around to hundreds of needy people. All we need to do is take the change from our pockets/purses and put it into a jar, when the jar is filled give it to someone in need. I thought to myself that John and I can do this that we always have change and it would be so easy to pass along a jar to family that needs a little extra help. So beginning the day after Christmas our family began filling our Christmas Jar. Every time we add a few coins to our jar I feel so happy knowing that next Christmas my family can pay back the kindness that was shown to us this holiday season. I’m hoping  that whoever reads this may feel inclined to fill a jar over the next 12 months and help a family in need next Christmas. HAPPY NEW YEAR and GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

2 comments:

TheBatts said...

ahh this made me tear up. I had almost an identical incident I had just bought my house in Mesa and all of a sudden Nicolas need MAJOR dental work, I had to pay half up-front and it was like $300 which I didnt have. My new ward dropped off a basket of stuff at Christmas one night and there was a card with a $100 bill inside the exact amount I was short after I had scrimped every free cent I had. A christmas miracle!! AND HOLY MOLY what the heck is that oil made of diamonds and gold!! jeez!! INSANE!! Thanks for your comment and especially for your honesty on your blog you help us all be brave!! I'll be praying for the weather to warm up for you!!

Amanda Griggs said...

I have been trying to comment from me cell phone and it's all funky, and John has the PC tied up all the time so now after two weeks I am able to comment.

WOW! Jess that story is really amazing and touching! I love it when people really do something truly thoughtful and giving. It is acts like this that helps us to know what Loving thy neighbor really is about. I m so thankful that you had someone up there to watch over your family while we couldn't. I feel blessed knowing that someone stood up and showed such kindness and love.